In Ultimate Frisbee, the “spirit of the game” is the foundation for the sport. The integrity of Ultimate depends on each player's responsibility to uphold the Spirit of the Game, and this responsibility should remain paramount.
Spirit of the Game: Ultimate relies upon a spirit of sportspersonship that places the responsibility for fair play on the player. Highly competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of mutual respect among competitors, adherence to the agreed-upon rules, or the basic joy of play. The protection of these vital elements serves to eliminate non-sportspersonship-like conduct from the Ultimate field. Such actions as taunting opposing players, dangerous aggression, belligerent intimidation, intentional infractions, or other win-at-all-costs behavior are contrary to the Spirit of the Game and must be avoided by all players. Spirit is an attitude embraced by the unicorns. Spirit is having respect for every player on the field, as well as the game itself. It is learning and competing together with the yearning for joy at heart. Spirit is a purpose for which both teams work together to get, and allows relationships to grow between teams and individuals.
Be Prepared: (must have at every practice)
- Athletic Clothes - Be prepared to play in ALL weather (besides lightning)
- Shorts and/or athletic pants
- Dark shirt (BLACK preferred)
- WHITE shirt
- Colored shirt
- Athletic Shoes - CLEATS strongly preferred - Running shoes also
- Water Bottle
Areas of Emphasis:
- BASIC SKILLS - Throwing & Catching, Cutting, etc...
- RULES OF THE GAME - Each week a different rule will be emphasized
- FITNESS - We will be working more on fitness to improve our play
- INCLUSIVITY - All members of the team must be included on and off of the field
Grades will be based on a weekly rubric that participants will use to self-evaluate themselves on the following equally weighted categories:
- Preparation - proper gear at each practice
- Attendance & Engagement - present and ON TIME to each practice. Engaged in all activities (warm-up, plyos, running, drills, scrimmages, etc…)
- Basic Skills & Knowledge of the Game - Improving throws and catches. Knows offensive and defensive strategies including man and zone offense and defense. Knows the rules (as evidenced by monthly quizzes).
- Attitude & Spirit - Positive team member that puts for effort and plays by the rules
This was written by former student coach Tanner Rohnke as he passed the torch to the next generation of Unicorns!
It matters not about ability but possessing the right attitude to find joy in Ultimate. It is the ability to feel good even after a terrible defeat, or being able to congratulate another team’s player on hard work well done. Spirit is the most important and crucial piece to Ultimate Frisbee.
The goal is to see this team possess the capability to reach high-quality thinking and playing on the field. This means a large amount of endurance, smart, well-executed throws, strong cuts, and strategic plays. This is no easy task, especially due to the size of the team, to have everyone possess stamina, and the right quick thoughts on the field to complete this goal. The more players can be pushed to discovering their abilities on the field the closer the team can get.